August 8, 2022
At 11:21 AM Monday, August 08, 2022, the Burlington Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 1311 Agency Street in Burlington. West Burlington Fire Department also responded on automatic aid. Firefighters arrived on scene at 11:24 AM and found a single-story home with fire showing from an attached garage. A box alarm was then struck which resulted in off-duty Burlington Fire Department personnel and mutual aid departments being notified.
The fire was contained to the garage with smoke and water damage throughout the structure. The home is owned by Timothy Jackson, Sandra Jackson, and Haley Jackson and was not insured. The home was occupied by 5 adults and several pets at the time of the fire and all escaped without injury. The Red Cross has been called in for victim assistance. The building sustained substantial damage to the garage. Damage estimates for the structure and contents are estimated at $30,000.
Fire crews were able to find and rescue 4 cats and pet turtle.
The cause of the fire is due to improperly discarded cigarettes, and is considered accidental.
Eleven Burlington firefighters responded to the initial call and were assisted by five West Burlington firefighters on automatic aid. Assistance was also provided by the Burlington Police Department, Des Moines Co Sheriff’s office, and Alliant Energy. There were no injuries reported. Firefighters cleared the scene at 1:18 PM.