January 7, 2022
At 8:19 AM Friday January 7, 2022 the Burlington Fire Department responded to a report of smoke coming from the roof at 1705 Olive Street in Burlington. Firefighters, responding from another fire scene, arrived at 8:21 to find a small fire in the attic of the single-family rental home. One female was inside and not aware of the fire until alerted by neighbors.
The rental home is owned by Betty Weinreich of Lomax, IL and occupied by Dawn Bennick. Damage is estimated at $5,000 to the structure and $1,000 to contents and the house is insured. There were no working smoke detectors in the house.
The fire was caused by overloaded electrical wiring due to the use of a space heater and is considered accidental.
Six Burlington firefighters initially responded to the call with West Burlington firefighters responding on automatic aid. Additional firefighters responded as they became available. Burlington Police and Alliant Energy assisted at the scene. There were no injuries. Firefighters cleared the scene at 9:36 AM.