December 13, 2021
At 10:50 a.m. Sunday December 12, 2021 the Burlington Fire Department was dispatched to a reported garage fire at 1414 Summer street in Burlington. Burlington Firefighters arrived on the scene at 10:53 a.m. to find smoke and fire showing from a garage attached to a single-family dwelling. Firefighters were able to quickly get the fire under control and contain the damage to the garage with no extension into the home.
The property is owned and occupied David Carpenter and his family. The home and garage are insured. Damage estimates are estimated at $6,000 to the structure and $15,000 to the contents. The residents were home at the time of the fire and were alerted by neighbors. The residents were able to escape with no injuries.
The fire was caused by improperly discarded charcoal and ash from grilling.
Ten Burlington firefighters responded on the initial call as there was another EMS call in progress. An additional nine off duty Burlington firefighters were called in and three West Burlington firefighters responded on automatic aid. Also assisting at the scene were the Burlington Police Department, Alliant Electric & Gas and 1-800 Board Up. There were no injuries to bystanders or personnel.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 12:47 p.m.
Todd Van Scoy