November 29, 2021
At 15:46 PM Monday November 29, 2021 the Burlington Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 101 N Gunnison St in Burlington. Firefighters were training nearby and arrived 2 and a half minutes later to find heavy smoke and fire showing from the rear of the home.
The single-family home, owned and occupied by Jeffery and Sarah Lawlor sustained an estimated $45,000 in damages to the structure and $10,000 in damages to contents. The house is insured.
The fire started in a chicken coop just outside of the house due to an over heated heat lamp. All occupants of the home were able to escape without injury and 2 cats and several chickens were also un-injured.
Nine Burlington firefighters responded to the initial call and were assisted by eight West Burlington firefighters responding on automatic aid. Seven off duty Burlington firefighters were called in for back-fill. Burlington Police and Alliant Energy also assisted at the scene. There were no injuries reported. Firefighters cleared the scene at 18:09 PM.