Burlington's leaf collection begins October 18th. Burlington Solid Waste crews will collect leaves, lawn and garden residue and twigs no larger than 1"in diameter for 7 weeks in the Fall and 3 weeks in the Spring, as noted on the schedule however MATERIAL MUST BE IN PAPER YARDWASTE BAGS. NO PLASTIC BAGS. WE WILL NO LONGER COLLECT FROM 33 GALLON CANS OR THE CITY SUPPLIED CARTS. The weight limit per yard waste bag is 40 pounds.
Fall 2021 Leaf Collection Schedule
Set out Before 7 a.m. For Collection on:
Oct 18, Oct 25, Nov 1, Nov 8, Nov 15, Nov 29, Dec 6
Oct 19, Oct 26, Nov 2, Nov 9, Nov 16, Nov 30, Dec 7
Oct 20, Oct 27, Nov 3, Nov 10, Nov 17, Dec 1, Dec 8
Oct 21, Oct 28, Nov 4, Nov 12*, Nov 18, Dec 2, Dec 9
Oct 22, Oct 29, Nov 5, Nov 12, Nov 19, Dec 3, Dec 10
* Veterans Day is observed on Thursday, Nov 11- alters routine
NOTE: NO Leaf Collection Thanksgiving week
Bags with TAPE or STAPLES will NOT be collected.
NO garbage or trash is to be mixed in with the yard waste. The material that is collected is composted, and the finished compost is available to the public.
COLLECTION IS WEEKLY, THE DAY AFTER YOUR GARBAGE COLLECTION, and CURBSIDE, EVEN IF YOUR TRASH IS COLLECTED FROM THE ALLEY
YARDWASTE MAY BE DISPOSED OF at Des Moines County Regional Landfill free of charge, year round. Material must be loose or in paper yard waste bags; plastic bags must be emptied. The drop-off facility is paved and vehicle-friendly. Loads must be secured to avoid a $10 surcharge – in most cases this will require a tarp.
Leaf Burlington is permitted November 1-November 30, Wednesdays & Saturdays, 10 A.M. - 5 P.M.
IT IS ILLEGAL TO BURN leaves on public streets, sidewalks or alleyways. Burning in the boulevard or on private property must comply with rules governing open burning:
- A person familiar with open burning regulations shall constantly attend burning material with appropriate fire extinguishing equipment readily available.
- No fire may be kindled when wind velocity exceeds 15 miles per hour.
- Open burning shall not be conducted within 50 feet of any structure or other combustible material. Conditions that could cause the fire to spread to within 50 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition. Exception: Clearance may be reduced to not less than 25 feet when the pile size is 3 feet or less in diameter and 2 feet or less in height.
- Discontinuance - The Fire Chief or designee is authorized to require that open fires be immediately discontinued.
Leaves that gather NATURALLY in the street will be swept up by the Public Works Department.
IT IS ILLEGAL TO RAKE, BLOW OR DEPOSIT LEAVES ON STREETS, SIDEWALKS OR ALLEYWAYS.
FOR DETAILS CALL THE 24-HR SOLID WASTE INFORMATION LINE AT 319-753-8114,
THE BURLINGTON FIRE DEPARTMENT AT 319-753-8396