Burlington’s Annual City-Wide Clean-Up Program (CWC) begins Monday, April 19. Collection is scheduled according to trash route. It takes crews 3 or 4 days to collect all items from a route, but items must be set out before 7:00 a.m. of the SET OUT DATE in the same location as trash collection.
To avoid creating a nuisance, do not set out more than one week in advance of your set out date.
SET OUT DATE
- During CWC, Burlington's Solid Waste crews pick up a reasonable amount of program-approved items such as furniture, toys and bulky household items from Solid Waste customers at no additional charge.
- Regular garbage is still subject to the City’s TRASH CART program for garbage and should be separated from Clean-Up items.
- Small items must be in strong garbage bags, or sturdy disposable containers. NO CARDBOARD BOXES. Boxes are flimsy, especially if they get wet. Loose bits and pieces will not be picked up.
- The quantity of material collected from one residence is limited to a reasonable amount. Crews will fill the garbage truck hopper up to four times. That equates to a pile no more than 14’ L x 5’ W. Do not stack!!
- Recycle what you can! Take books to the Public Library for book sales (319-753-1647); rugs or towels to the dog pound (319-753-8389); clothing or furniture to the Salvation Army (319-753-2038), Hopefully Yours (319-237-1140), Goodwill (319-208-0290) or a green drop box. The Area Recyclers (319-753-8126) accept most types of glass.
- NOT APPROVED: Items too heavy for 2 people to safely handle (like a piano or pool table), and items not properly prepared for collection. For example, paint cans must be empty or contents dry and lid removed. Carpet must be cut in 4’ strips and each strip tightly rolled and tied.
- NOT APPROVED: Electronics with screens are banned from the landfill. Electronics are accepted at the HazChem Center (319-753-8758) for a fee. TVs cost $15. Other electronics are 25¢ per pound. City crews will pick up TVs by appointment. Trash Tags are required. Call (319)753-8114 to get on the list. Goodwill of the Heartland accepts computers, monitors, and computer accessories, at no charge, even if item doesn’t work. Items are recycled.
- NOT APPROVED: Appliances, tires, batteries & pressurized tanks are collected year-round by appointment. Trash Tags are required. Call (319)753-8114 to get on the list. Appliances may be taken to the Area Recyclers for a fee by appointment only (319-753-8126). Alliant Energy will pay their electric customers up to $50 for working refrigerators or freezers and working air conditioners. Call 1-866-255-4268 to apply.
- NOT APPROVED: recyclables, yardwaste, tree limbs, auto parts, landscape timbers, railroad ties, pallets, bricks, stones, rubble, concrete, asphalt, shingles, siding, and dry wall.
- NOT APPROVED: Liquids and Household Hazardous Waste. Call the HazChem Center at 1-877-HAZ CHEM for free disposal.
- NOT APPROVED: Construction and demolition material. (bricks, stones, concrete, rubble, asphalt, shingles, lumber, pallets, siding, drywall, landscape timbers, railroad ties) C&D material is accepted at the landfill for $53 a ton, with a minimum charge of $10.
- PLEASE NOTE: All loads brought to the landfill will be charged the regular fee for disposal: $53/ton with a $10 minimum.
- Loads brought to the landfill must be secured to avoid a $10 surcharge – in most cases this requires a tarp.
For more details call the Solid Waste Department
24-hour Information Line at (319)753-8114
or visit www.burlingtoniowa.org