April 16, 2020
At 4:47 PM Wednesday April 15, 2020 the Burlington Fire Department responded to a reported furnace explosion at 214 S. Gunnison Street in Burlington. Firefighters arrived 3 minutes later to find smoke coming from the 2-story wood frame home. Firefighters located a fire above the furnace and it was quickly extinguished.
The single family home, owned by Brian and Elizabeth Mosher, sustained and estimated $20,000 in damages to the structure, furnace, and electrical system. There were 2 occupants in the house at the time of the incident and both were able to escape without injury. The house is insured. There were working smoke detectors.
The fire is considered accidental due to a mechanical malfunction inside the furnace.
12 on-duty Burlington firefighters responded to the call and were assisted by 6 West Burlington firefighters responding on automatic aid. The Burlington Police Department, Superior Ambulance and Alliant Energy also assisted at the scene. Firefighters cleared the scene at 7:10 PM. There were no injuries.
Mark Crooks, Fire Marshal