According to Iowa Department of Public Health, there are no special precautions currently being recommended for Iowans beyond the simple daily precautions to combat any flu virus, including:
1. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
2. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
3. Stay home when you are sick.
4. Call before going to Quick Care or your Medical Provider if you are symptomatic in order to avoid spreading the disease.
5. The State of Iowa has a COVID-19 hotline at 211, if you feel you may be infected.
6. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
7. Mask will not be adequate protection to prevent you from contracting COVID-19. Mask should be worn by people who are symptomatic or believe they have contracted the illness, to help prevent the spread of your virus.
8. Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces by using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
9. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
10. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
If you are experiencing symptoms such as a fever, cough or difficulty breathing, and have traveled to an area with widespread COVID-19 transmission or otherwise feel you may have been exposed, please contact your health care provider.
Des Moines County Public Health has a general line at (319) 753-8290.
State of Iowa COVID-19 hotline at 211