November 30 2019
At 6:34 PM, Saturday November 30 2019, the Burlington Fire Department responded to a report of a camper on fire at 1211 Franklin St in Burlington. Firefighters arrived at 6:38 PM to find a fully engulfed 20 ft. camper trailer. There were two persons occupying the trailer, one male and one female. The female was injured and transported to Great River Medical Center by Burlington Fire Department ambulance. The male occupant, Mitch Pfeifer, escaped without injury.
The fire was extinguished by the 7 responding Burlington firefighters called to the scene. The property upon which the camper was sitting is owned by Roberta Pettigrew of Burlington. The camper trailer valued at $5000 is considered a total loss. Contents lost are valued at $3000.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to faulty piping and hardware connections to the gas stove top in the camper supplied by liquid propane (LP). There were no utilities connected to the trailer. The trailer had no smoke detectors.
Mr. Pfeifer declined Red Cross assistance, citing family in town upon which he could rely for assistance and shelter.
Battalion Chief Bruce Workman