October 20, 2019
At 8:20 AM Sunday October 20, 2019 the Burlington Fire Department received a report of a garage fire at 520 S. 8th Street in Burlington. Firefighters arrived 3 minutes later to find flame and heavy smoke coming from the detached one-car garage. Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control and have it fully extinguished by 8:50 AM.
The garage and contents, owned by Tony and Nicol Rettig, sustained heat and smoke damage throughout. Damage estimates are still being assessed and the property is not insured. One dog perished as a result of the fire. One Burlington firefighter received minor injuries. The firefighter was evaluated at Great River Medical Center and released to return to work.
The cause of the fire is believed to be combustible items too close to a wood burner. The fire is considered accidental.
Fifteen Burlington firefighters responded to the initial call and were assisted by three West Burlington firefighters responding on automatic aid. Firefighters were assisted at the scene by Burlington Police and Alliant Energy. There were no further injuries. Firefighters cleared the scene at 11:03 AM.