City Supplied Cart Facts
CITY SUPPLIED CART FACTS
- The cart is the property of the City of Burlington.
- Household garbage must be in leak proof garbage bags when placed in the cart.
- Cart must be out at the collection point by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- If your residence is on a route served by the new truck with the mechanical arm with claw, cart must be no more than one (1) foot from curb/alley (see Trash Route Map); if not, cart is to be placed within 3 ft. of the curb or alley.
- Lid to be FULLY CLOSED, NOT overfull, or trash may be left uncollected.
- Extra trash to be in a free standing 33 gal. garbage bag with Trash Tag attached.
- If you are regularly using a Trash Tag on extra garbage, consider a larger or additional cart; it may be more convenient or cheaper than buying trash tags.
- Do not place trash cart on top of a wall or staircase; it must be on the ground.
- Do not block open direct access to carts with vehicles, trailers, boats etc. or put inside a structure or behind a fence that hinders direct access from road to cart.
- Carts must be free standing and free of lashings, chains, bungee cords, rocks and bricks.
- For better efficiency in alleys, when practical, please position your cart in a location across from the neighbor’s cart on the other side of the alley (one stop, two carts emptied, fewest number of steps means less time, more efficient).
- The home owner/resident is responsible for cleaning the cart.
- You may apply adhesive numbers and letters on cart (no paint or markers).
- During heavy snow events, please make sure your cart is not placed behind snow banks. During these times, please place your cart at the end of your drive way or apron or along the travel lane where you have cleared the snow.