Starting a Business

Business Registration

The City of Burlington does not require a general business license for most operations in the city, although, certain operations may require a license or permit from the city. All businesses must register with the state and receive a Sales Tax ID number from the Iowa Department of Revenue.

Business District

Commercial Businesses are required to be located in a Commercial or Industrial Zoning District as designated by the Official Zoning Map (PDF) of the City of Burlington. Small businesses that wish to operate out of a home or residence in a Residential Zoning District must contact the Development Department prior to beginning any operation. Such small home businesses are regulated by City Code and may be classified as permitted or special home occupations, which require a Special Use Permit. If work or renovation is to be completed on a building, please contact a building inspector to see if a permit is required.