Burlington is a community of 25,663 citizens located on the Mississippi River in Southeast Iowa, and is a regional center for employment, shopping, education, healthcare and recreation. The community is beautifully situated on the bluffs of the river and has a rich heritage as a center of commerce and culture. Burlington was incorporated in 1836 and serves as the county seat of Des Moines County.
Visiting? Staycation? There are plenty of things to do and see in Burlington, Iowa!
History & Heritage... from famous landmarks, a log cabin, museums and a welcome center, discover the history and creative spirit that exemplify Burlington, Iowa
- Parks & Recreation... Offering a variety of recreational opportunities, Burlington has an award winning sports complex, outdoor municipal swimming pool, disc golf, Mississippi River boat ramps, bike trails, playgrounds, a dog park, a skate park, and Flint Hills Municipal Golf Course. Burlington maintains over 200 acres of beautiful parks throughout the community, many with picnic facilities.
Nature & Outdoors... Dankwardt Park provides an 18-hole disc golf course, off-leash dog park, playgrounds, ball fields, and other amenities. Crapo Park includes an arboretum, Lake Starker, walking paths, hiking trails, and panoramic vistas of the Mississippi River from the bluff. Stroll through Riverside Park, view the lighthouse, or picnic in the gazebo. The Flint River Trail is a multi-mile trail cooperative venture between the City and Des Moines County. Starr's Cave Nature Center and Preserve is a forested area containing limestone bluffs, three caves, prairie remnants and endangered plant species. The Nature Center offers hands on displays and scheduled activities including folk concerts and environmental education programs.
- Shopping... A wide range of shopping opportunities are waiting for you in Burlington. A stroll through Downtown will get your shopping started. Areas along Roosevelt Avenue and Agency Street offer a wide variety of clothes, collectables, gifts, furniture, and antiques.
Cultural Arts elements abound in the community
Burlington Civic Music brings vocal and instrumental musical performances, dance and theatrical stage productions to the Memorial Auditorium.
- Southeast Iowa Symphony Orchestra is a regional treasure and performs several times each year.
- Burlington Municipal Band performs in Crapo Park Bandshell each Sunday evening June through August.
- VenuWorks at the Memorial Auditorium offers a variety of live performances.
- The historic restored Art Deco Capital Theater is a theater and performing arts center.
- Player's Workshop is a community theater.
- The Art Center offers changing exhibits, art classes and workshops for children as well as adults.
- Steamboat Days is a week-long summer music festival.
- Catch a cabaret performance at the Des Moines County Heritage Center in the Bart Howard Room.